Old 14-11-2010, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default Timer settings for lights for growing seedlings

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
. uk...
I bought a "Powerplant" hood and 2 off "Ecolight" lamps to go with
them and and timer switch for germinating alder seeds and growing them
up as fast as possible.

Now I look at the timer switch, it gives a fixed 12hrs of switch/day
and there is no provision for changing it. I am a little surprised at
this, really, I hadn't thought about it and I should have done. What
is best? I would like to read some discussion.

This set-up will not be in a green house and the hood will not be hung
from above, it will be in a living-room (at living-room temperature)
and I have enclosed the seed-tray and lights in a box, so when the
lights are switched off, it will be dark, unlike when a hood is hung
in a greenhouse.

Perchance the gadget has a perma-on position as opposed to timer setting,
then you could plug it in via an external (£3) timer and set the offs and
ons to your hearts content.

Otherwise it sounds like cover off time and bypass the internal timer and
use the external timer.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com