Old 14-11-2010, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Blueberries in So. Calif coastal

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 11/13/10 12:58 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
My nursery (Armstrong) advertises 2 blueberry varieties that (I
assume) can be grown in this mild Mediterranean climate: Sunshine
and Bountiful Blue. $29.99 for 2 gal. Some advertised to bear next
summer.

I am a card-carrying blueberry freak, so my interest was piqued.
However, it's asking a lot to wait 'n' years for berries that might
not be to my taste.

It has taken decades for mild-weather varieties to emerge upon the
scene. What's available at Trader Joe and Co-Op is generally from
Oregon or Vancouver -- neither of which is exactly mild weather.

So, throwing myself on the mercy of this NG: Does anyone have a clue
how these two varieties taste?

TIA

Persephone

Blueberries are now an important commercial crop in Ventura County, most
of which has a mild-winter climate. You might inquire at the county's
agricultural commissioner
http://portal.countyofventura.org/portal/page/portal/AgCommissioner to
find out when they are in season and which certified farmers markets
have them.

I live 1 mile from the pinelands.

http://www.pineypower.com/blueberries.htm

--