Old 15-11-2010, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default fig tree

"Patricia Thorpe" wrote in
message ...

My fig tree in a large pot had 20 figs this year -usually has 5 or 6-
but they fell of when nearly ripe. My daughter says it is because I
didn't water it in the hot weather. I thought figs liked it hot and dry
- am I wrong? Now that its leaves have fallen I see I have about 60 new
medium sized green figs. Do I remove these to make room for next year's
crop or leave them to overwinter?

Figs have 2 crops a year, the spring (breda crop) and the autumn (main)
crop. If you have 60 figs on it now, those fruit could be your main Autumn
crop. It's hard to know though given that we can't see it and don't know
when the 20 figs fell off.

In fact having just written that, it'd make sense to me to say that the 20
figs that fell off were your Spring Breda crop and your 60 remaining figs
are your autumn crop that haven't managed to reach maturity.