Old 15-11-2010, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Growing Sloes

Bob Hobden wrote:

A normal mixed hedge in the UK would include... Hawthorn (Crataegus
monogyna), Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa), Hazel (Corylus avellana), Common
Dogwood (Cornus sanguinea), Field Maple (Acer campestre) together with
an occasional crab apple, wild damson, wild cherry, elderberry etc.

And most importantly, bullace, black and gold.

Assuming it can be done legally (and there are a *LOT* of restrictions
on the importing of live vegetable matter, I could post any number of
sloe stones, or this year for that matter, any number of sloes - they're
growing like grapes this year.

If you keep the hedge thick, it can be cut. There's one local to me
which is kept trimmed, and from which I picked more than twenty pounds
of fruit two or three years ago.

--
Rusty