Old 15-11-2010, 01:25 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollierose View Post
Is there anything I can do about weeds? - They seem to grow more in my front garden, my back garden has been experiencing a few problems lately yet the weeds seem to be growing more around the front of my house. I pull them out but they seem to be growing back by the dozen and I don't know whether there is a spray or anything that can kill them off for good? It probably sounds like a silly question but I am new to all this. Hopefully someone can suggest something for me? It would really help. I have only started gardening recently and am not off to the best start!
There's no difference between weeds and flowers - a weed is merely a flower growing somewhere where you don't want it. So while there are persistent weedkillers, they will stop anything else growing. OK for paths, but keep them well away from flower beds and lawns.

Or did you mean you have some persistent weeds which grow back even though you think you've pulled them out? In which case try something containing glyphosate - it's a systemic, which means it is taken into the plants system, and kills the whole plant "from inside out". Takes about 3 weeks for a visible effect. Don't let spray drift on to anything you don't want killed and keep it well away from your lawn.

The best deterrent for weeds is a bigger and stronger plant! If you plant your flower beds densely, then weeds won't be able to compete (and the few that get through won't be very visible amongst all the other vegetation).