Old 15-11-2010, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Ginkgo seeds

On 14/11/2010 20:41, Pam Moore wrote:
Advice needed please about what to do with some ginkgo seeds I picked
up at the weekend. If anyone has picked up any of these you will know
that they smell awful, so luckily I had a plastic bag in my pocket.
I've got 5 berries which I've put outside on top of a pot of soil.
What to do now? Can I plant them as they are or do I have to remove
the smelly pulp? Perhpas soaking in water might help?

Afraid you want rid of all the smelly pulp. The trees are single sex and
most ornamentals sold are males to avoid the smelly fallout.

I grew a ginkgo from seed about 40 years ago, but that was bought dry
seed! No I don't have a 40 year old ginkgo. It must have died on me
sometime!
TIA

They are tough as old boots once they establish. One of mine from seed
is now about 7' tall after ~10years. Strange angular growth pattern more
like a pine tree, but with their characteristic deciduous ginko leaves
and smelly fruit. The nut itself is a delicacy in Japan after the smelly
pulp has been removed and the kernel treated and cooked.

Regards,
Martin Brown