Old 15-11-2010, 04:12 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollierose View Post
Is there anything I can do about weeds? - They seem to grow more in my front garden, my back garden has been experiencing a few problems lately yet the weeds seem to be growing more around the front of my house. I pull them out but they seem to be growing back by the dozen and I don't know whether there is a spray or anything that can kill them off for good? It probably sounds like a silly question but I am new to all this. Hopefully someone can suggest something for me? It would really help. I have only started gardening recently and am not off to the best start!
Where is weeds a problem? In flower beds, you can apply the "stale bed" approach. A lot of weeds are annual weeds, and grow from the accumulated load of dormant seeds in the soil. But if you weed regularly, and don't disturb the soil, then the number of new weeds growing eventualy reduces, not to nothing, but to rather less. For perennial weeds, you have to make sure you pull the full root out. A dense covering of shrubs helps exclude weeds.

Weed-proof fabric helps. I lay this over the vegetable bed during the winter, and it greatly reduces the labour when it comes to replanting it in the spring. I have a patch of land permently covered in weed fabric, with a covering of decorative gravel. But weeds still succeed in growing in the gravel... But at least it is a lot less.

There are chemicals that can be sprayed on paths and driveways. Pathclear kills off teh top growth, but perennial weeds grow back from the roots. You need glyphosate to kill off perennial weeds. Though some of those seem to be resistant!