Old 15-11-2010, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default Heather

"Kath" wrote in message ...

I thought that all plants put on growth from the tips of shoots but a
heather I bought
which had been dyed with food dye ( a light green) now looks like a blonde
with her roots
growing out (or his) and shows growth from the bottom of the plant.

Is this correct? Do heathers grow this way?

The dyed old growth stays dyed. What you're seeing is the beginning of next
seasons growth and is of course not dyed.
As Sacha has already said 'why do this?' There is such a huge range* of
naturally beautiful coloured heathers to choose from but most garden centres
sadly stock only a very limited range.
*The last count I saw was over 600 and that was many years ago - it's almost
certainly increased since.

Rod