Old 16-11-2010, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Cherry tree with split bark

"Julian200" wrote ..

Hi, I have a fruiting cherry tree "stella" I planted a few years ago,
for the last year or so its had splits in the bark down the trunk, when
I squeeze edges of the split some orange coloured stuff comes out from
under the bark, is this a disease, can I do anything about it and could
it spread to other ornamental cherry trees I have in the garden? Thanks

Sounds like Bacterial Canker so yes it is a disease. If it totally rings the
stem it will kill off all the tree above it so can be fatal to the tree if
it happens low down near the ground. Normal suggestion it to remove the
infected areas and burn it but if it's on the trunk low down there is not
much you can do. There is another thread at the moment on this disease with
an apple tree.
Books suggest spraying with Bordeaux Mixture or copper oxychloride (if it's
available now) three times a year in late summer, early autumn and again in
mid autumn to avoid this problem, it won't cure a diseased tree
unfortunately, just prevent it happening.
There are some Cherry varieties that are resistant to it so if the tree dies
you might be able to replace it with one of those.

Having looked them up.... Merton Glory, Merton Premier, Merla, and Merpet

--
Regards
Bob Hobden