Old 16-11-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please...

In message , Les Hemmings
writes
Not got a pic but it's a border / shrub / hedge grows like Cotoneaster but
more erect, pale green tiny leaves & delicious looking purple berries at the
moment. Used by councils for shrub beds all over Kent it seems!

Unfortunately Cotoneasters have a variety of habits ranging from
creeping shrubs (C. adpressus) to trees (C. frigidus), so a comparison
with Cotoneaster doesn't help me.

Privet honeysuckle (Lonicera pileata) is widely used in amenity
plantings, has purple berries, and might be considered to have a similar
habit to wall cotoneaster (Cotoneaster horizontalis).

(But I see that you've just replied to Janet saying the leaves are
alternate - that eliminates Lonicera, which has opposite leaves.)

The classic purple-berried shrub is beautyberry (Callicarpa), but that
(in my experience) used in amenity plantings, and it also has opposite
leaves.

Les

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley