Old 17-11-2010, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Growing Sloes

"wrnchbndr" wrote in message

My first post here...
I'm in New Jersey (quite similar climate to parts of the UK) and have
been wanting to cultivate sloes for many years with spurts and false
starts of effort. Sorry to intrude into this UK specific forum but I
believe that the folks here are going to know more about sloes than
anyone else. The plant does apparently exist here in the wild according
to a few government sources but I've never been able to find it. It is
not on any restricted or envasive species list. Unfortunately, there are
no nurseries that can provide me with cultivars in the US.

To be honest, my main goal is to be able to make my own sloe gin. I did
this year after year while I lived in the UK and its delightful stuff
and a great gift during the holidays. Sloe gin from any shop in the US
has no relation to the real thing.

You wouldn't care to tell us how you make sloe gin, the husband of one of my
cousins used to do it, but sadly he has passed away so I can't ask him.

Alan