Old 17-11-2010, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please...

In message , Rusty Hinge
writes
Les Hemmings wrote:
Not got a pic but it's a border / shrub / hedge grows like
Cotoneaster but more erect, pale green tiny leaves & delicious
looking purple berries at the moment. Used by councils for shrub beds
all over Kent it seems!

Lonicera nitida.

For clarification Lonicera pileata (privet honeysuckle) and Lonicera
nitida (box honeysuckle) are similar, and hybrids between them confuse
the issue further. The rule of thumb I use for distinguishing them is
that Lonicera pileata has a spreading/arching habit, and Lonicera nitida
an erect habit.

In my experience Lonicera nitida rarely fruits in this country, but
perhaps things are different in the southeast.

Don't eat the berries!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley