Old 17-11-2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing Sloes

On 17/11/2010 21:32, alan.holmes wrote:
. uk wrote in message

My first post here...
I'm in New Jersey (quite similar climate to parts of the UK) and have
been wanting to cultivate sloes for many years with spurts and false
starts of effort. Sorry to intrude into this UK specific forum but I
believe that the folks here are going to know more about sloes than
anyone else. The plant does apparently exist here in the wild according
to a few government sources but I've never been able to find it. It is
not on any restricted or envasive species list. Unfortunately, there are
no nurseries that can provide me with cultivars in the US.

To be honest, my main goal is to be able to make my own sloe gin. I did
this year after year while I lived in the UK and its delightful stuff
and a great gift during the holidays. Sloe gin from any shop in the US
has no relation to the real thing.

You wouldn't care to tell us how you make sloe gin, the husband of one of my
cousins used to do it, but sadly he has passed away so I can't ask him.

I've made it a few times now. I also experimented by making sloe rum and
sloe vodka. Surprisingly the sloe rum turned out the best of the three.
None of the drinks tastes anything like the alcoholic drink it is based
on. I think maybe the rum one turned out best because it had the highest
alcohol content. Here is how I make them:

Take 8 ounces of fresh picked ripe sloes. Rinse them to remove any
detritus etc. Leave them in soak for half an hour. A few little grubs
might emerge from one or two of the sloes, just fish them out, don't
worry about trying to sort out the few sloes that may have little grub
holes in - they won't hurt you. Drain and dry the sloes by rolling them
on kitchen paper. Place into a freezer for a couple of days. The
freezing and subsequent thawing helps to break the pulp down so the
juices can percolate out better. I think it also helps to reduce the
bitterness of the sloes but I don't think that is necessarily an issue
for making sloe based drinks as making other sloe products such a sloe
cheese.

Take a 70 cl bottle of rum/gin/etc and empty the contents into a jug.
In the empty bottle carefully tip the 8 ounces of frozen sloes into the
bottle. Add 4 ounces of ordinary white granulated sugar. Now pour back
enough run/gin/etc to reach the bottom of the neck of the bottle.
Turn the bottle a few times to help the sugar to dissolve. The bottle
will get quite cold and damp as moisture condenses on it. When the
bottle has warned up again after a few hours dry it off and attach a
sticky label marking the contents and date.

Place the bottle in a dark cool place. Turn the bottle once each day for
a few weeks then once per week. Allow the bottle to stand for several
months before drinking. Ideally a year if you can wait that long. You
will notice that after the first few days that the colour of the drink
changes to pink then a deep red. Don't let daylight get to the bottle or
I think it will turn the colour from red to brown.

The drink is very nice. It baffles me how rum (which I detest) can
change into something so pleasant to drink.

Note: I think the high sugar content is necessary to help draw out the
juices from the sloes - they are key to putting the delicious flavour
into the drink.

After a year there will be some light sediment at the bottom of the
bottle along with the sloes. Carefully decant the sloe rum/gin into
another bottle. You can get the last part of the bottle by putting it
through a coffee filter paper which takes out any sediment.

You should have a red, clear, sweet and very potent liqueur. None of
your guests will guess what it is.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.