Old 18-11-2010, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Plant ID please...

On Nov 18, 5:11*pm, "Les Hemmings" wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

For clarification Lonicera pileata (privet honeysuckle) and Lonicera
nitida (box honeysuckle) are similar, and hybrids between them confuse
the issue further. The rule of thumb I use for distinguishing them is
that Lonicera pileata has a spreading/arching habit, and Lonicera
nitida an erect habit.

In my experience Lonicera nitida rarely fruits in this country, but
perhaps things are different in the southeast.

Don't eat the berries!

Arching / spreading suits... *not erect. And I used the term "delicious
looking" after seeing the translucent, dew laden berries under a gloriously
blue & sunny winter sky. Don't worry... *not about to try them!

Our L. Pileata was covered in berries this autumn, once they were ripe
thet lasted less than 2 days, the birds hit them like a plague of
locusts.
I didn't have time to get out with the camera.
David