Old 20-11-2010, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Dan L. e-mail?

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"songbird" wrote:

how's the cheese making going?

Just got "Making Artisan Cheese" yesterday. Quick perusal inclines
me
not doing mold and bacteria type still lots to try.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Artisan...n/dp/159253197
0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290201715&sr=1-1

I basically make just yogurt and pickle stuff. Charlie I heard was
into sourdough breads. One issue I read about in the book was trying
get milk that is not pasteurized. Dan L having a cow circumvents this

issue.

I buy cheese from these folks but it has new owners now on second
year
and who knows. Still my extended family says same order as last year.

http://www.leraysvillecheese.com/Products.aspx

My emails will never work on a public forum.Nor will you find me on face
book or any other social network

Jersey Bessy will not produce milk until around the end of March. Her
calf will need milk for a few months after that. I am hoping to get some
milk around April. She did escape from her pasture two days ago, but did
not venture far away. How in the world she busted through triple welded
wire and without a scratch is beyond me. Now I am considering an
electric fence. My guess she almost weighs 800 pounds.

The book you bought, I do not have. It looks like a book for advanced
cheese makers. I have not yet made any. I have three books planning for
the future.

I am not positive, but I do not believe regular pasteurized milk
prevents cheese making. Ultra High Pasteurization will prevent cheese
making. I not sure, but I believe homogenized milk prevents some forms
of cheese making. My knowledge is book only at this time. I think one
can add cultures to pasteurized milk to make cheese, a step I will not
need. One can buy milk that is not homogenized and a low heat
pasteurization called "Cream-Line" milk. Raw milk is strictly illegal
for sale in Michigan, however having your own cow is the only way to get
raw milk.

My first attempts will be butter, yogurt and soft cream cheeses. Reading
books states that soft cheeses is the easiest and cheapest way to go and
can be made in days if not hours. Hard Cheeses is a whole new game.
These are require expensive equipment, cheese presses, specialized
refrigerators that control humidity and temperature for mold control. I
will attempt hard cheeses someday, that maybe a year later. I must learn
to walk before running. Being on the side of of caution, I will use slow
low heat pasteurization for my personal milk consumption.

Now making you own sour dough breads. That is a real treat, low cost and
easy!
I have "Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day [Hardcover]"
ISBN-10: 1580089984 ISBN-13: 978-1580089982
Baguettes anyone, fresh out of the oven, the smell, the taste, Mmmmm...
Gluten does bother me, but sometimes worth the discomfort later.

Have fun on the cheese making!
My books are focused on the HOME making end.

The Home Creamery [Paperback]
Kathy Farrell-Kingsley (Author)
ISBN-10: 1603420312 ISBN-13: 978-1603420310

Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses [Paperback]
Ricki Carroll (Author)
ISBN-10: 1580174647 ISBN-13: 978-1580174640

200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes: From Cheddar and Brie to Butter and
Yogurt [Paperback]
Debra Amrein-Boyes (Author)
ISBN-10: 0778802183 ISBN-13: 978-0778802181

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)