Old 20-11-2010, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Is it still healthy?

Jake wrote:

This year I experimented with early fruiting raspberrier. Six canes in
a 30 litre container and a mix of John Innes no 3, garden compost and
coarse grit on a broadly 40/40/20 ratio. Had a good, tasty crop,
picking until late September and have 4 strong (and 2 less so) new
canes already grown to about 5 feet ready for next year. They were fed
weekly with with a high potash fertiliser but apart from that needed
little care beyond tying in.

I planted two canes two-and-a-half years ago - one of an autumn-fruiting
golden-fruited one, and another summer-fruiting red - just to try them
with a view to getting more.

The red was disappointing, and has produced another two or three canes
in two-and-a-half years. Haven't bothered to recap on variety...

The golden one spread out new canes into a circle of six feet in
diameter - around forty of them in the first year. They are now invading
my black, white and redcurrants, are nestling under the apple tree, and
impinging on the space the summer variety should be living in. I haven't
bothered to recap on variety, as I don't expect I shall ever need to buy
any more.

Even after these frosts I'm still picking the odd golden raspberry.

--
Rusty