Old 21-11-2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Dan L. e-mail?

On 11/19/2010 7:32 PM, phorbin wrote:
In ,
dude says...

Jersey Bessy will not produce milk until around the end of March. Her
calf will need milk for a few months after that. I am hoping to get some
milk around April. She did escape from her pasture two days ago, but did
not venture far away. How in the world she busted through triple welded
wire and without a scratch is beyond me. Now I am considering an
electric fence. My guess she almost weighs 800 pounds.

My grandma had a lead cow that perfected the art of leaning on fences.

She'd lean until the fence broke and then took the herd through the gap
with her.

They were never able to break her of the habit and being a farming
family...

We had a Holstein cow inside a two-wire electric fence. She ate the
grass up to within one foot of the wire, no closer. Unfortunately she
could tell, somehow, when the power went down. Once it did she was in
the vegetable garden within seconds.

The pigs would get out of the sty once in awhile, they would go through
the electric fence squealing like crazy, taking the fence down, into the
garden would go the cow.

Being a farm family, both pigs and cow....