Old 21-11-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default limits on garden waste as mulch?

On Nov 21, 12:42*pm, Emery Davis wrote:
Having recently purchased a mulcher, I'm wondering if there is a
consensus to whether certain waste, like rose prunings, shouldn't be
used as mulch around other plants as they might carry disease.

For example, I wouldn't put maple clippings as mulch, they might
transmit bacterial cankers or even verticillium. *I'd probably not put
rose, and although I did use a lot of willow the other day after putting
it through the machine, now I wonder if that was wise. *Things like
elder or hedge laurel, give me no qualms.

So, what garden waste would be unsafe to use ground up as mulch around
trees and shrubs?

Thanks,

-E

P.S. *saw the first snowdrops poking up this afternoon!

The world is full of diseases, fungii and bacterii. I don't worry
about it. Bung it all through the machine.