Old 22-11-2010, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Dan L. e-mail?

George Shirley wrote:

[SNIP]

Friend has a Golden Retriever who can open the screen door, has the
handle you have to push to open and the dog figured it out. Now they
have to lock the door to keep him in.

OB: edible gardens, harvested enough broccoli crowns today for dinner
tonight. Also need to harvest a bunch of sweet chiles and have about a
six-quart bucket of hot chiles ready to pick. Okra has pretty much
given up but the tomatoes are putting on fruit again. If we don't get
a hard freeze this winter we might make it.

George, in USDA Zone 9b

My dog is a yorke. He is always with me outside. My little dog comes and
goes as he pleases though the doggie dog. Still alive and going on six
years old.

My gardens have been put to rest for the winter. One small salad garden,
4x12 ft, just off my back deck. A canning garden, 20x20ft fenced in. A
third raised bed garden under development, 50x100 ft, for cutting
flowers and for small fruits, a five year project, soil all clay. Some
day I would like a small greenhouse in that area. Money is tight now
that I am retired... For the time being

I look at this way. Beyond fruit and vegetables, eggs and milk to me are
useful food groups. Almost every recipe has milk or eggs. However, if
funds get too tight, Bessy will be the first to go. She is expensive and
takes allot of space, time and work. Chickens are super easy. Chickens
are easier than removing weeds or taking care of a dog.

Will be starting some seed kits indoors in February.
Also got my first seed catalog yesterday from pine tree.

http://www.nadrhel.com/

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L. (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)