Old 22-11-2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Multi-colored fall leaves. . .

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:50:40 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

We have planted coral bark Japanese maples (sango kaku) for several years,
mostly with good results.

Our present one, which is five years old and about 10 feet high, produced a
surprise this fall: The usual brilliant golden leaves, but also, on the top
branches, beautiful orange-red leaves.

It was as if there were two trees growing from the same trunk.

The yellow leaves have fallen, but the orange-red leaves are still there as
of late November.

Any idea what could cause this?

Fall foliage color is mostly dependant on mineral content within the
tree and its leaves from the soil in which it is growing, becomes
apparent when photosynthesis ceases during dormancy... your tree's
roots may have entered a stratum of some different soil that is
affecting the newer growth. This new coloration may lessen as the
tree matures and roots spread or it may become more apparent. Only
time will tell... or your Japanese tree may have become bi-racial...
any Norway maples making nightly visits? LOL any