Old 22-11-2010, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default limits on garden waste as mulch?

On Nov 22, 2:28*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Nov 22, 12:49*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 11/21/2010 01:58 PM, Janet wrote:
So, what garden waste would be unsafe to use ground up as mulch
around trees and shrubs?
Living in a phytophthora-affected area I wouldn't use shreddings from
*any host species.

That sounds reasonable.

The other day I shredded a lot of bramble and didn't mulch with it on
the theory it might grow from tips.

I suppose my line will be drawn at anything that might carry a pathogen
or will regrow.

-E

I use everything, except plants that die under suspicious circumstances!
I don't put rose shreddings under the roses and I have never known
anything grow from shreddings so I don't worry about that.
Unlike Mike I am too lazy to compost I just put it all straight on the
ground
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I find that what ever I put down as mulch the blackbirds move it
around so much that it is kept aireated and all theie scratching about
moves weeds as well.
David- Hide quoted text -

My mulches grows wonderfull crops of poisonous looking toadstools.
Must be around ten different sorts.