Old 22-11-2010, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Dan L. e-mail?

George Shirley wrote:
On 11/19/2010 7:32 PM, phorbin wrote:
In ,
dude says...

Jersey Bessy will not produce milk until around the end of March.
Her calf will need milk for a few months after that. I am hoping to
get some milk around April. She did escape from her pasture two
days ago, but did not venture far away. How in the world she busted
through triple welded wire and without a scratch is beyond me. Now
I am considering an electric fence. My guess she almost weighs 800
pounds.

My grandma had a lead cow that perfected the art of leaning on
fences. She'd lean until the fence broke and then took the herd through
the
gap with her.

They were never able to break her of the habit and being a farming
family...

We had a Holstein cow inside a two-wire electric fence. She ate the
grass up to within one foot of the wire, no closer. Unfortunately she
could tell, somehow, when the power went down. Once it did she was in
the vegetable garden within seconds.

We had a horse that would test electric fence. He would lean forward very
slowly and caustiously until a whisker or nose hair would touch.

He also mastered the art of pulling out pig-tailed pickets with his teeth.
The power would be on so he would lean over the wire and grasp the top of
the insulated ring on the picket, pull it out of the ground and drop it.
When the picket went down the wire went down and he stepped over.

He could also open a gate that was fastened with chain and hook if there was
no safety ring on the hook by simply pulling the hook out of its staple and
then jiggling the gate with his shoulder until the chain worked loose. He
did this trick before dawn on a very frosty winter morning, we got a phone
call from a neighbour saying "did you know all your horses are running up
and down the road?".

David