Old 23-11-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Caffeine versus slugs & snails

On 22/11/2010 23:54, Bertie Doe wrote:
So far, all my spent coffee grinds, have ended up in my compostor ( I
believe there was a thread on ukrg last year).

After reading the following article, I'll separate the coffee and use it
as a spray next year, on the allotment. It also mentions tea leaves as a
good source http://preview.tinyurl.com/34gjnw2

It is more effective just to spread the coffee grounds around sensitive
plants like hostas and delphiniums. Turning it into a spray isn't worth
the effort. Most things of plant origin that we consume as stimulants
and interesting tastes were intended for chemical warfare against plant
parasites or fungi. It is sheer good luck that they do us no harm.

Regards,
Martin Brown