Old 24-11-2010, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Caffeine versus slugs & snails

On Nov 24, 12:30*pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 24/11/2010 10:57, Janet wrote:

In ,
says...

I doubt it will last all summer (though it might in a greenhouse) as
caffeine is pretty water soluble and will migrate into the ground. Use
the coffee grounds directly on the soil and you might have a useful
effect. I have tried it and cannot decide if it works or not.

* *IME certain textures, such as sand, fine grit, wood ashes, and rough
leaves like comfrey and dried bracken, do have *some protective
deterrent/ repellent effect as slugs don't like crossing them; maybe
coffee grounds work that way.

Wood ashes are pretty alkaline. Charcoal and the last bits of coke coal
seem to work for a while as slug deterrents. They don't like the rough
surface. But I think the coffee grounds effect is mainly chemical.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Now if coffee would work on Vine weevil