Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Bruce Geist

Default Mystery snails

I really appreciate the information. I will definitely be on the look out.
I had no idea clowns ever ate plants.

The damage I see now generally consists of holes in my broad-leaf plants--
the shape of
the holes many times look like the outline of my pleco's mouth.. There may
also be
scraping damage, as you suggested is typical of plecos, leading too a hole
in the
center of the leaf. I certainly hope its not my clowns.. As I said, I will
be on
the look out. The image of the crypt leaf you posted is helpful. Thanks.

-Bruce

LeighMo wrote in message
Thanks for the heads up. I have always attributed holes in the leaves of
my swords to be from my pleco...

It's easy to tell the difference between pleco damage and loach damage.

If a
pleco is the culprit, the leaves will look scraped. As if they've been

sanded.

Loaches, OTOH, make a clean hole. They don't scrape, they bite the

leaves.
Often, the holes they leave are v-shaped. And they eat small leaves, like
babytears and Diandra, that plecos wouldn't bother with.

I used to have a magnificent stand of Didiplis diandra. Then one day the
loaches decided they liked it. They totally denuded it. Nothing but a

few
bare stems left. (Which I'm leaving to float at the top of the tank,

where
they are recovering.)

Good thing I love 'em, or they'd be fish stew. g

Leigh