Old 25-11-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT! Sacha's letter in Daily Mail

In article , Sacha wrote:

[ The Independent ]

It's hardly any wonder that their circulation and readership figures
are bad. Journalists have taken a big step downhill in latter years,
imo and have allowed their personal prejudices and grudges or shoulder
chips to come to the fore. ...

Well, it isn't, but you have mistaken the reason.

One of the reasons that I can't stand the Daily Torygraph is the
way that it has always published bare-faced lies in its leaders
and 'factual' articles in order to promote its bigotry. The other
broadsheets never used to (though the Gnurdian tended to get its
facts completely confused and few of them did any more than very
shallow investigation), but that has changed since Murdochisation.

Something that is very disturbing is the way that certain very
important issues are quietly suppressed. The BBC used to be better
than most, but Hutton more-or-less told it to toe the government
line. There are some critical national issues that I have certain
knowledge of from other sources that I have never seen MENTIONED
anywhere except the Independent - and even it doesn't dare raise
them too loudly.

The trouble is that shallow bigotry is what this country wants,
whether that means the government or public.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.