Old 25-11-2010, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default old people and gardening

In message ,
Janet writes

hugh ] wrote:

An older person is defined by government as being over 50

That definition dates from 1875 when average life expectancy in the UK
was far lower.

Interesting read from the WHO

http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey.../en/index.html

Janet

It is the current definition used by both central and local government
in dealing with older people.
The ageing consultation in the North West for example is referred to as
50/50 vision for that reason. All ageing population strategies begin at
age 50. The Older Peoples groups sponsorod by many local councils also
begin membership at age 50.

The WHO definition includes the word "most". It is not the definition
used in the UK where we tend to distinguish between "older " and
"elderly" though I do not have to hand any official definition of the
latter.

I would agree however that the UK definition is a bit ludicrous in the
view of increasing life expectancy and also as the official retirement
age is now on an upward path.
It is something we would like to see changed.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha