Old 26-11-2010, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:29:28 +0000, mocean
wrote:

Brooklyn1;905867 Wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:
-
In article
,
mocean
lid wrote:
-
I have a 20 year old pine that is being hit with water -every- night by
my neighbor's wild sprinklers. My understanding is that you shouldn't
water pine trees from overhead, especially in Winter when temperatures
are freezing. Before I speak with my neighbor, I thought I'd ask the
experts here if my pine tree is in any danger. Some of the branches are
now bare of needles since this began, but it didn't occur to me that the
watering could be causing it. Could this excessive over-the-top watering
cause diseases. or weaken my tree making it vulnerable to pests?

Thank you for your help.-

Your neighbor waters in the winter? What and why? Water and snow from
above seem like they would be part of any pine's job description.\-

Um, many parts of the planet have warm weather in winter. duh

If the neighbor is regularly sprinkling that tree (especially at
night) it will become severely damaged and eventually die... those
defoliated branches will not recoup, they are already dead.

Yes, it rarely drops into the 30's in Southern California, but it does
get cold this time of year. It was 38f last night. I'm not sure but, I
think my neighbor is watering some wild grasses at night to help them
spread across about 1/3 of an acre. It's too windy during the day to
water. I'm only guessing as I haven't asked him why he's watering.

Yes, the branches have lost -all- their needles and the branches
themselves are dead now. One just broke off in the wind today. The
branches are only going bare where the water is hitting them. I just
didn't think it would be devastating to the tree since it's endured
drastic fluctuations in weather for so many years. However, now that I
can see that the branches are devoid of needles -and- dead, I am very
concerned. I only hope my neighbor is nice about this. If this tree
dies, it'll cost me a fortune to have it removed.

The damage to your tree is due to your neglecting to confront your
neighbor... WTF are you waiting for... in all probability he hasn't a
clue that he's destroyng your tree. And in the US it's at minimum a
legal trespass to water a neighbor's property, when intentional it's
an assault... his watering your tree is the same as if you had your
Porche parked in your driveway with the top down and your neighbor's
sprinkler filled it with water... take pictures and also advise in
writing sent by certified mail and have him pay to remove your
dead/damaged tree and pay to replace it. If you caught your neighbor
screwing your wife you could hold her liable, but here you can't blame
your tree.