Old 20-04-2003, 06:15 AM
Allen Smith

Default Fish Suggestions

Mike K wrote in message ...
I have a 55 gal planted tank which currently houses many small fish (neon
tetras, black neon tetras, glo-lite tetras, serape tetras, harliquin
rasboras, bumblebee gobies, ottos) and was looking for suggestions on some
larger (not huge!) species to add to this display. Any suggestions?

I'd keep an eye on the serpae tetras as they can be quite the fin
nippers among their own species and other fish as well (maybe resrict
future fish in the tank to fish without long flowy fins just for
caution sake, ie. like a betta etc.). But if the school is large
enough that seems to disappear (I'd say at least 8 fish). What are the
school sizes of the tetras you have now? They might just be happier
having more of their own company (at least 6, but the more merrier and
*happier* they are).

If you are looking for larger schooling fish I'd try some congo tetras
(around 3-4" big). They are very beautiful looking. Or you could try
any of the varius rainbowfish which also school and get 2-4" long
depending on species.