Old 27-11-2010, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Sweet Potato Storage Update

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Derald wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Would the peat moss cost more than the taters?

Good point; newspaper, straw or any absorbent wicking material
will work. I use newspaper, native pine straw or the (purchased) wheat
straw that I use for mulch. Of course, the insulator should be dry
material: Its purpose is to separate the sweet potatoes from one
another, to absorb moisture and to wick condensate that may form on
the potatoes' surfaces.

Peat moss has other uses also. Good for lightening up the garden soil,
used in making your own potting soil and if you soak it in water it
makes that great material used for those wire like hanging baskets
(looks like nesting material).

My wife's parents bought a bale of peat moss every year and
incorporated in their beds. This in N. Jersey where clay was more about
than our sandy loam down here next to the pine barrens.
Seem to recall there was some sort of heath issue with sphagnum moss
but I’ve forgotten the particulars.

Peat moss is OK!

http://www.garden-services.com/sphagnum_moss.htm

--