Old 28-11-2010, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Ramsons

Mike Lyle wrote:
David Rance wrote:
Hello All,

I seem to remember that, a few months ago, there was a discussion here
about ramsons but I can't find it now.

Can any kind person tell me where I might buy seed or plants in the
UK? I know it's really a wild plant as I saw some in Hungary last
spring in the grounds of the Esterhazy Palace (underfoot along their
vast avenues). I was hoping I might persuade it grow in my cider apple
orchard.

They prefer a damp and rather shady spot. I had them growing like crazy
on a north-facing stream bank with a hedge on top in West Wales. I sent
some of them to somebody in this group, perhaps as much as ten years
ago, but never heard if they'd arrived safely.

Someone (Urger) kindly sent me some from Ireland a few years ago.

The slugs and/or snails tnd to get them before they've seeded, but I've
a planter full of them from where I harvest seeds.

Dunno what happened to this year's - they'll be in a packt somewhere,
under something, under something else.

--
Rusty