Old 29-11-2010, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Ecological impact of soil amendments

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

I always thought that what was local was best and cheaper. I swear by
wood chips. Marton NJ 20 miles away gave me green sand and I purchased
granite dust in the day. Other things brought in was various manures if
I cleaned it up the coop or stall.
Green manures are a given sort of like roots trying to help the soil.
Dried blood and bone meal too. (Prions) I've also composted barber
hair and sea weed along with fish and game innards.

Question ....are some amendments deleterious more than others?

Peat got me questioning thinking.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

I only use Alaskan fish emulsion due to the mercury issue. I wear a mask
when using blood or bone meal and dried manures because of disease issues.