Old 30-11-2010, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default peat moss, was Sweet Potato Storage Update

In article ,
Doug Freyburger wrote:

Billy wrote:

Rodale has a different take on peat moss.

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/search/node/peat

Bill, "FarmI" was addressing the ecological impact of harvesting peat
moss. Rodale seems to just address the use of peat moss. The two sites
are talking past each other.

I grew up near Niagra Falls in a region with a thick clay layer of
subsoil and a pretty thin layer of loom over it. We added peat moss to
our gardens every year in an attempt to make the loom thicker. Mixed in
and dilute it appeared to draw worms that consumed it in a couple of
years. We could keep added moss every year as long as we lived there
without any build up or ill effect. We never deposited a few meters of
straight peat moss like happens in a bog so it did not build.

As to harvesting, it's like a forest. As long as new grows at least as
fast as you harvest it renews. I'm sure there are sustainable and
non-sustainable peat moss harvesting business out there. If I could
tell which is which I'd buy my annual bale from the sustainable folks.

Peat moss will certainly do the job, Doug, and can be useful if you want
to add an a slightly acidic amendment to your soil. I'e done a little
experimenting with rye and buckwheat, and have been very happy with the
way that they have broken up my heavy clay soil. Once conditioned, and
then kept covered with mulch, the soil has maintained its lightness.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw