Old 30-11-2010, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Ecological impact of soil amendments

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

I always thought that what was local was best and cheaper. I swear by
wood chips. Marton NJ 20 miles away gave me green sand and I purchased
granite dust in the day. Other things brought in was various manures if
I cleaned it up the coop or stall.
Green manures are a given sort of like roots trying to help the soil.
Dried blood and bone meal too. (Prions) I've also composted barber
hair and sea weed along with fish and game innards.

Question ....are some amendments deleterious more than others?

Peat got me questioning thinking.

I'd think it would depend on what they are. I'll only use "organic" fish
emulsion now. Part of the problem is the vast amount of plastic from
shopping bags to six-pack holders that is in the oceans now. A
distressing attribute of plastic is its ability to attract and
concentrate PCB, PBDE, dioxins, and DDT. The plastic breaks down into
smaller and smaller bits, which are taken up by aquatic life, and hence
to the top predators (us).
Municipal sludge is out as was seen in the fiasco of Michelle Obama
trying to plant an organic garden where sludge had been sprayed on the
White House lawn (heavy metals).
Fresh manure or house hold sewage is acceptable, as long as it is kept
off the the parts of the plant to be eaten for at least 4 months.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw