Old 30-11-2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Ecological impact of soil amendments

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

I always thought that what was local was best and cheaper. I swear
by
wood chips. Marton NJ 20 miles away gave me green sand and I
purchased
granite dust in the day. Other things brought in was various
manures if
I cleaned it up the coop or stall.
Green manures are a given sort of like roots trying to help the
soil.
Dried blood and bone meal too. (Prions) I've also composted barber
hair and sea weed along with fish and game innards.

Question ....are some amendments deleterious more than others?

Peat got me questioning thinking.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

I only use Alaskan fish emulsion due to the mercury issue. I wear a
mask
when using blood or bone meal and dried manures because of disease
issues.

Another approach is to only use "organic" fish emulsion.
Besides Mercury, fish may contain Selenium, DDT, PCBs, Dioxins,
pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and polybrominated
diphenyl ethers (PBDEs), which are used widely as flame retardants.
All bad stuff.

Selenium is bad?
I thought that was a needed mineral for the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oi...in_supplements
A March 2010 lawsuit filed by a California environmental group claims
that eight popular brands of fish oil supplements contained excessive
levels of PCBs, including CVS/pharmacy, Nature Made, Rite Aid, GNC,
Solgar, Twinlab, Now Health, Omega Protein and Pharmavite.

Whew... Glad you did not mention the Fisol brand. I take the one that
has 70% strength, deep ocean fish and no mercury listed on the bottle
and expensive about $35/bottle. Doctor Prescribed it for my Mom who has
AMD, Age-related macular degeneration, so if it is good for my mom, its
good for me?????