Old 30-11-2010, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Ecological impact of soil amendments

In article , (Una) wrote:

Dan L wrote:
Are you saying sand+organic is better than organic alone as a soil
amendment?

Depends on the makeup of the soil already there.

My soil is mostly sand, some silt, negligible clay, and zero organic
matter. I don't need to add any more sand. I do need organic matter
by the truckload.

Una

Some peoples waste is another' s gold. I had to travel for wood chips
40 years ago. Today KC tree service delivers wish I could say the same
for manures. I no longer have access to a pickup truck. But with three
plies two cold and one hot our soil loaded with earth worms is pretty
good. I'd guess the rock amendments for 1965 are still breaking down.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden