Old 30-11-2010, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Tuesday weather

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I can't remember the last time it snowed in November, and I do
remember in 2001 that I was mowing the lawn to pass the time for my
sons wedding.

It snowed on Nov 20th 1973, and up until the mid-90s it seemed to snow
about one in 3 Nov 20ths, although that may have been limited to where
I was at the time. The last time I remember it snowing on Nov 20th
was at a party in the mid-90s in Coventry, where I happened to be.

Funny how we all remember different times isnt it?
My aunt has reminded me how on her birthday Nov 28 1991 we had to put salt
on her driveway so her car could be driven.

As for 1973 this is documented here in my town, sort of a 2 year diary. In
1974 there was the biggest peacetime explosion here, and everybody
remembers where they were and who they were talking to, what they were
wearing and why.
It was the local anual 'Family Day' this day June 1st. Scorching hot day
for early June.
I was at the top of the high street with some school friends.
I remember looking at the town clock and seeing clouds sort of rushing and
then seeing a giant mushroom emerging behind it, then all the shops glass
fronts bursting outwards, cutting and maiming passers by. We were all
shocked momenterily but soon started to hear the emergency services sirens,
we all thought it was a local gas explosion or something.
It turned out to be a local nylon factory Nypro which had blown up, and as
luck would have it most of the emplyees of Nypro had the day off for the
yearly occasion of 'Family Day', though all of the skeleton crew perished.
It is known as the "Flixborough Disaster" these days.

But anyway yes I can remember at least one November snow and if i read my
dads diaries maybe some more to jolt my memory.

Baz