Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Hide and Hedgehogs

On Dec 1, 6:18*pm, wrote:
In message
* * * * * Corporal Jones wrote:

On 30/11/2010 17:04, wrote:

Any thoughts on the hibernation being perhaps too late for this
particular hedgehog or should I not be concerned?

Stephen.

Hedgehogs should be in hibernation now, if not they probably won't survive.
I had a small one (this years young) wander down the garden last week to
the back door and ate the food I had left out for the cat, this was
about 2pm.
The following day it returned around 1pm for another feed so boxed it up
and took it to Tiggywinkles near Aylesbury, they confirmed that it would
not have survived so it will be overwintered there then released in the
spring.
Reading their newsletter they overwintered over 500 of them last year.

The hedgehog I saw is adult size so it may survive, however I'll
leave the cat food out in the feeding house just incase.

Food house pictured here;http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/...foodhouse3.jpg

Stephen.

--http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
"Whatever is rightly done, however humble, is noble". Henry Royce

Than you agin; #2 was what I was really interested in.