Old 20-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Allen Smith

Default Source of calcium carbonate?

"Mentaloid" wrote in message a...
I've read this and that about increasing the gH of a tank with CaCO3,
however a readily available source of CaCO3 is escaping me. Can anyone shed
some light on this? I know I can use baking soda sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
to bring of the kH, but I want to bring my gH up as well. Help!

Try using calcium pills. An average calcium pill has 300mg of calcium
carbonate. I don't know how much this equates to how much you need for
your tank. But this is what I plan on doing as it seems like a very
cheap source (buy generic as long as they dissolve within an hour or
two - not a lot of cheap fillers).

Other than that, you can buy marble chips I believe or use old
seashells (if I'm correct), I always get the seashells and marble
chips mixed up as to whether they raise GH or KH. Someone will be sure
to clarify.

Best of luck,
Allen