Old 20-10-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Shubunkin growth and breeding

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 08:04:41 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I decided this year to try breeding some subunkins in my berm ponds.
I got a half dozen of the regular shubunkins and have let them grow.
The pond also has one orange comet with a fine tail and a bunch of
mosquito fish. They seem to have grown well to 4-6 inches each. Does
anyone know how likely it is that they will breed this coming spring?
They are in a hyacinth pond, so the fry should have good hiding places
in the roots...although the mosquito fish will get a lot of them.

Also, any suggestions about encouraguing breeding? I am thinking they
will handle that themselves for the most part!

Jim

I know I never had any baby fish in the koi ponds when I had mosquito fish
in there and the first couple of years I had goldfish too. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us