Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Xmas gifts

On 6 Dec 2010 12:42:56 GMT, wrote:

Jake wrote:
This may be a bit time consuming but if you have access to a laser
printer (or photocopier, maybe in a copy shop) rather than inkjet
which will fade in sunlight, you could try printing or copying your
field labels onto sheets of appropriately sized laser labels. These
aren't waterproof but could be stuck on whatever and then covered with
clear waterproof tape - you should be able to get a 5cm wide by 30+m
long roll for ?5-6. I've used this method to put small "signs" on the
outside of buildings and they've lasted for a couple of years so far.

Can you get "clear waterproof tape" that doesn't dry up and fall off when in
the sun, though? Scotch tape is waterproof and clear-ish, but IME it won't
stick in a permanent fashion to a lot of surfaces, and stickier tape will
just dry up and fall off after a week or two in the sunlight.

I used Ever Build "Clear Weatherproof Tape" to attach some small signs
to the outside of some buildings as markers to things that were
underground. Stuck to a mix of brickwork, plastic pipework, glass and
metal. The signs are still stuck after a bit over two years. It's
really targeted at the construction industry and I've never seen it in
DIY stores but a quick web search shows (at least) the following link
as one which'll sell individual rolls:

http://www.realoakfloors.co.uk/ever_...proof_tape.php

I'd thought of using laminated labels but the cost of a laminator and
the laminating pouches would probably work out more than the Brother
labeller that I use and as Dave was conscious of the cost of a label
machine and the tape, I thought he'd probably be equally conscious of
laminating cost.