Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Ground cover for shady area?

On Dec 6, 4:07*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:24:56 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

wrote:
Just had a lot of weeds cleared out of an area in back of the yard,
which has a lemon tree partially shading it (more or less, depending
on season; angle of sun).

Would like to plant ground cover which would, I hope:

1. *Tolerate partial shade

2. *Have some flowers, even if only seasonal

3. *Propagate rapidly.

This is Southern Calif coastal; mild Mediterranean climate.

Suggestions *welcome!

(or should I just cover area with large piece bark and scatter a few
pots around?)

It's not either or... plant thyme, oregano, and scatter pots about.

True. Thanks.

Thyme, I know, flourishes in almost any conditions, but I haven't had
the same luck with oregano.

Anybody planted these as ground cover in shade areas?

Dave's Garden recently suggested Phlox. Here's a site:
http://www.gardenguides.com/180-phlo...perennial.html

Whaddya think?

Other solutions? (pref. not very expensive)

Mucho TIA

HB

HB