Old 07-12-2010, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default OT heads up- long

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,

[SNIP]
Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT) has proposed amendments that would exempt
small

producers that sell to the public, hotels, and restaurants from
regulations. Whether this is for stainless steel kitchens, or simply

testing, I don't know. At some level, regulations would seem
pointless,
e.g. produce given or swapped with neighbors, or local sales for
less
than $5,000. Stainless steel kitchens would be beyond the financial
abilities of small producers, but testing based on units produced
would
be fairer.

As far as raw milk, and raw almonds, it seems that if they were
subject
to inspection, had a government warning sticker, and and full
disclosure
of their production, an adult should be able to buy them using their
own
best judgement.

When I first read about Testers's amendment, I have decided to be for
the bill. However, I am sure the bill will not help the consumer one
bit
and not improve the food safety at all. It is the skeptic in me.
Somewhere along the line big Corp will gut the bill.

My understanding, small farms and farmers markets are exempt from FDA
and USDA inspections unless something has gone wrong. Thanks to Sen.
Tester.

In my state of Michigan, one can purchase a cow directly from a
farmer.
The farmer will take it to a local license deer processor to have it
processed. The deer processors usually butcher them in their home
garage. Just like the Pailins Alaska butchering a Caribou in their
garage.

Good chance it would be cleaner than one cleaned on a conveyor belt.
Packing house employees seem to be an at risk group, when it comes to
carpal tunnel syndrome (repetitive motion).

true