Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ground cover for shady area?

On 12/6/10 2:24 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Just had a lot of weeds cleared out of an area in back of the yard,
which has a lemon tree partially shading it (more or less, depending
on season; angle of sun).

Would like to plant ground cover which would, I hope:

1. Tolerate partial shade

2. Have some flowers, even if only seasonal

3. Propagate rapidly.

This is Southern Calif coastal; mild Mediterranean climate.

Suggestions welcome!

(or should I just cover area with large piece bark and scatter a few
pots around?)

HB

Vinca minor -- about 1 ft thick, blue flowers (be careful it's not V. major)

cinquefoil (Potentilla neumanniana, also known as P. verna) -- very
close to the ground, yellow flowers

Hahn's ivy (Helix hedera 'Hahn's') -- about 1 ft thick, a dwarf form of
English ivy

However, don't plant anything in the root zone of the lemon. It's not
good for the lemon.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean