Old 08-12-2010, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

On 08/12/2010 11:26, Derek wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 09:03:47 +0000,
wrote:

I for one liked Toby and Alys, what worries me is that we get back
'the long border' who today has a 'long border' we now have smaller
plots and so containers and patios are more relevant.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Excuse me, but I have a border. It's not as big or as grand as I'd like
it to be and it's due an overhaul, but it *is* a border with a 'hot,
fiery' end working towards a 'cooler' end. I enjoy very much seeing
other gardeners create borders and long, broad beds for that matter. I
believe that sort of planting is still relevant and still enjoyed. It
teaches us about plants, using plants and colour and form; knowledge
which can be applied to smaller projects with a little creative thought.
I hope Monty does continue to plant a border, as well as fruit and veg
and all the other things.

Personally (although I like and respect Monty), I liked Toby's approach
and teaching manner. He made me want to watch the programme again.
Alys was also good and enthusiastic *and* complemented Toby's style
well. Carol's knowledge and enthusiasm is always good value, so the
three made a good team.

I believe that the "30min construction" slot was created to give we
gardeners a taste of that longed-for "cheap build-it slot" that Geoff
Hamilton always did so well and somehow made relevant. It's a shame it
misfired.

I am sorry they're shortening the programme, though. With so many
different specialities and diversifications within gardening, a longer
programme would make more sense ... or perhaps these specialities could
make extra programmes. I won't hold my breath though.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London