Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Ground cover for shady area?

On Dec 7, 8:49*am, gardengal wrote:
On Dec 7, 4:09*am, Dan L wrote:

"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 12/6/10 6:37 PM, gloria.p wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Dave's Garden recently suggested Phlox.

I've seen lots of phlox covering the hillsides in So.CA.
It's pretty from a distance when it's in bloom.

We have a bed of purple-flowered vinca vine in an area that's shaded
much of the day. It is also very pretty when in bloom (and
evergreen.)

There are many varieties of ice plant that do well in your climate.
Do they require much sun?

gloria p

Ice plant does best with full sun. *Some, such as 'Red Apple', can
become invasive.

What about plain old Hostas?

Gar
--
Enjoy Life... Nad R *(Garden in zone 5a Michigan)- Hide quoted text -

Neither thyme nor oregano will do well in much shade, I'd look at vinca minor, lamium, various saxifraga, some hardy geraniums, asarum (wild ginger) or lirope or ophiopogon. Hostas are a great choice..

Thank you; I will check into these.

I took a quick look at Hostas in Wikipedia. It says they are subject
to damage by snails and slugs. Same info at a Moss Phlox site
slugs if soil is too moist. ****Does this mean that shade ground
cover IN GENERAL is subject to snail and slug infestation? Or all
ground cover? Inquiring minds...****

My soil in the target area is not too moist; in fact So.Cal is dry.
So I might take a chance on some moss phlox. I just want to be
reasonably sure what I'm in for, as it will be a LOT of work adding
compost and otherwise modifying the soil in approx 15 x 5 area.
Or maybe less if I scatter pots about, as someone suggested.

Sorry for thinking aloud g I just called local nursery.. Plant guy
thought Moss Phlox would do fine, but wait 3 months before putting
in. He also suggested Pink Clover or Ornamental Strawberries, which
can be put in now. All three would spread out.

REPLY to Garden Gal: You asked if ice plant does well in my area. I
assume so, as I see a LOT of it around.

Any more input welcome. Recap: Want ground cover for partly shaded
area in So. Calif. Coastal.

TIA

HB