Old 08-12-2010, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Canned food.

Molie wrote:
Well, it's just canned food! In a gardening forum ... I prefer fresh
things!

Fresh is not always possible. In prefer canned foods over foods that are
out of season that is shipped from all over the world. Fresh is better
if it is locally grown.

There is the newsgroup: rec.food.preserving
You might find that group very useful. They know allot about what you
seek.

The bible of food preservation book is:
Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative
Recipes for Today [Hardcover]

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-...1825819&sr=1-1

Canning most vegetables requires a pressure canner, not just a pressure
cooker.
However, pickling vegetables is the best way to go. I prefer pickled
asparagus over pressure canned. I prefer the taste of my own canned
foods over store bought. Home canning does not have all of the chemical
preservatives that destroy flavor. Also your choices of canned food
selection is vast compared what you can find in the supermarkets. It
does require work to make your own canned foods.