Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Canned food.

DogDiesel wrote:

Anyone besides me think canned beans

I have tried home made pintos and canned pintos. When I cooked them the
difference was not as large as I hoped. Some relatives do a much better
job cooking pintos and the difference is large. So it depends on the
experience of the cook.

Most of the time stores near me have a wider variety of bean types
canned than dried.

and asparagus sucks.

Comparing canned and fresh asparagus is sad. Over the years the variety
of fresh veggies available in stores has grown and grown. A half
century ago the availability of fresh veggies in groceries during the
winter was limited enough that canned asparagus wasn't that bad.

I do like asparagus soup. It's easy with canned. It does work as an
ingredient in certain recipes. Not 100% bad news but closer and closer
as transportation gets easier and easier.