Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

On 08/12/2010 14:34, Spider wrote:
On 08/12/2010 11:26, Derek wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 09:03:47 +0000,
wrote:

I for one liked Toby and Alys, what worries me is that we get back
'the long border' who today has a 'long border' we now have smaller
plots and so containers and patios are more relevant.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Excuse me, but I have a border. It's not as big or as grand as I'd like
it to be and it's due an overhaul, but it *is* a border with a 'hot,
fiery' end working towards a 'cooler' end. I enjoy very much seeing
other gardeners create borders and long, broad beds for that matter. I
believe that sort of planting is still relevant and still enjoyed. It
teaches us about plants, using plants and colour and form; knowledge
which can be applied to smaller projects with a little creative thought.
I hope Monty does continue to plant a border, as well as fruit and veg
and all the other things.

Personally (although I like and respect Monty), I liked Toby's approach
and teaching manner. He made me want to watch the programme again. Alys
was also good and enthusiastic *and* complemented Toby's style well.

I never really took to him that much. Alys was OK and seemed very
knowledgeable when she was given the chance to show it.

Carol's knowledge and enthusiasm is always good value, so the three made
a good team.

I found her breathless enthusiasm and ludicrous scarves irritating.
Alys did a better job of demonstrating various techniques.

Rachel dT is a lot prettier than either but I don't see her as much of a
gardener.

I believe that the "30min construction" slot was created to give we
gardeners a taste of that longed-for "cheap build-it slot" that Geoff
Hamilton always did so well and somehow made relevant. It's a shame it
misfired.

Definitely. There was a herb garden idea based on a rocky spiral that I
though was actually quite inspired, but the rest were tedious.

I am sorry they're shortening the programme, though. With so many
different specialities and diversifications within gardening, a longer
programme would make more sense ... or perhaps these specialities could
make extra programmes. I won't hold my breath though.

They will be modelling it on the BigBrother, X-Factor or Celebrity Come
Dancing next with a phone to decide who goes or stays

Regards,
Martin Brown