Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Gardeners' World goes back to its roots with Monty

On 08/12/2010 15:13, Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 09:03:47 +0000,
wrote:

Monty Don is returning to the helm of Gardeners' World, almost three
years after a stroke forced him to leave the show.

The 55-year-old will replace Toby Buckland, who was informed by BBC
bosses yesterday that his contract will not be renewed. Buckland was
said to be "devastated" by the decision.

Alys Fowler, another Gardeners' World regular, is also leaving the
programme, the BBC announced. Carol Klein and Joe Swift will return
for the new series alongside Rachel de Thame.

From todays Telegraph

I'm delighted to have Monty back but I feel very sorry for TB who had
ddone a god job. The most recent programmes weresuch a great
improvement on what we had from Toby to start with. I was not
inspired by Alys, but neither am I inspired by Rachel de T. I hope
Toby gets a break with a new job to use his skills.

Pam in Bristol

I agree heartily, Pam. I think Toby was seriously hindered by the
producers. I've seen him present very good gardening programmes before,
or even brief slots in another's programme. He has a lovely, easy
manner (which I could watch all day) and actually seems ill at ease with
the false joshing, although it's clear he has a good sense of humour.
He should be allowed to blossom in his own right.

It took me a while to appreciate Alys, but I think she's a very able
presenter and seems to know her stuff. thus far. Call me strange, but I
actually like observing her as a human being. She's charming. (No, I'm
not a stalker!)

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London